Senior Manager, Sustainable Finance, Americas - WWF International
Posted on 05 February 2024
Want to make a positive difference to the future of people and our one shared home, the Earth? Working at WWF could be your opportunity of a lifetime.
All around the world, people are waking up to the deepening crisis of nature loss. A growing realisation that nature is our life-support system. And that nobody will be spared from the impacts of its loss. Here at WWF, we are helping to tackle this enormous global challenge.
Our people come from hugely diverse backgrounds and with a variety of expertise, ranging from HR and finance to advocacy and conservation science. We welcome applications from anyone who believes they can help us create a better future for people and wildlife.
What we do
We are an independent conservation organisation, striving to sustain the natural world for the benefit of people and wildlife. From individuals and communities to business and government, we are part of a growing coalition calling on world leaders to set nature on the path to recovery by 2030. Together, we seek to protect and restore natural habitats, stop the mass extinction of wildlife, and make the way we produce and consume sustainable.
Preferred location of this role: Washington DC. However, depending on the top candidate's profile, we might consider further locations within our International Hubs. Further discussion will be needed during the process.
1 MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
The objective of the global Finance Practice in WWF is to encourage a meaningful shift in finance to achieve WWF’s Global Goals by influencing the financial system to improve the integration of environmental risks and deliver investment for sustainable development in the landscapes and countries where WWF is active.
2 MAJOR FUNCTIONS
To provide technical advice and support to help WWF deliver an action agenda in sustainable finance. The incumbent will support the country offices in the Americas to integrate sustainable finance in their conservation strategies, fundraise to develop and provide high quality technical analysis and advice in the field of sustainable finance. Special focus of the role is to support country offices in their aim to mobilize private finance aligned with target 19 of the Kunming Global Biodiversity Framework. In addition, the senior manager will facilitate and coordinate WWF engagement with influential global actors in areas of strategic focus; and support knowledge development and sharing of analysis, information, and trends in sustainable finance throughout the WWF Network and externally.
3 Major Duties and Responsibilities
- As part of the Finance Practice Core Team, provide technical thought leadership to the Finance Practice Core and Leadership teams to implement and adapt the Finance Practice strategy.
- Identify actors in the sustainable finance sector and strategic opportunities for WWF to influence, collaborate with, or provide guidance to in collaboration with local offices and/or other Practices where relevant.
- Develop capacity in WWF local offices to lead the development of specific work plans in their conservation strategies aligned with WWF’s strategy for the finance sector in an inclusive and collaborative way.
- Support WWF offices in the Americas, providing expertise on the local implementation of WWF’s global Finance strategy.
- Work closely with the Finance Practice Leader, Core and Leadership teams in the WWF Finance Practice to agree strategic priorities and lead specific areas of strategic focus.
- Convene internal stakeholders across WWF’s global network to gather and provide content expertise, lead WWF input to external policy and regulatory requests for consultation from time to time as relevant and in close collaboration with local teams and raise awareness and help lead potential areas of external engagement.
- Support the Finance Practice Leader and Deputy in convening and or/participating in external discussions, conferences, and/or other similar fora as needed, and represent WWF Finance Practice in regional/sectoral events or meetings.
- Together with WWF offices, advocate and identify potential partnerships with strategic stakeholders including banks, investors, insurers, regulators, and financial service providers, for a shift in the financial market towards more sustainable practices.
- Support WWF engagement and collaboration with financial institutions, investment funds and other relevant organizations in the development of new financial products (blended finance, biodiversity and carbon credits, bonds, debt for nature swaps etc) that accelerate achieving target 19 of the GBF.
- Advanced degree in Business, Finance, Risk Management, Economics, Sustainable Finance, or other related fields.
- Minimum seven years of experience in responsible investing or sustainable finance, preferably working in a financial institution.
- Proven experience in one or more areas of expertise in corporate and project finance, risk assessment, insurance, banking, or blended finance.
- Proven experience in finance in relation to agriculture, food, or forest sector.
- Fluent command of written and spoken English, with proficiency in Spanish and/or Portuguese is an asset.
Required Skills and Competencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate global macroeconomic, financial, and market trends clearly and concisely to both expert and non-expert audiences.
- Extensive knowledge of global sustainable finance, development finance, institutional investment management, and/or capital markets.
- Leadership skills: Demonstrated ability to build consensus and exert influence to galvanize internal and external stakeholders around a shared agenda.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and work independently, take initiative, and work constructively within a team.
- Demonstrated ability to build partnerships and develop initiatives or platforms for change that leverage the capacity of external partners.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate complex issues and organizations while executing high quality work in a timely manner.
- Highly organized, with project management skills and experience.
- Experience working with an international team, based in different time zones.
- A strong network of external relationships in the finance sector is strongly desired.
- Experience with issues in environmental protection and nature conservation across WWF’s global goals including Climate and Energy, Food, Forests, Freshwater, Oceans, and Wildlife is desired.
- Demonstrates WWF behaviors in ways of working: strive for impact, listen deeply, collaborate openly, and innovate fearlessly.
- Embraces the WWF mission and values of the organization: Courage, Integrity, Respect, and collaboration.
5 WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Works closely with Finance Practice Leader, Practice Core Team and Leadership Team, experts in sustainable finance across WWF’s global Network, as well as members of other WWF Practices. Maintains close liaison with the broader WWF Network.
In coordination with others in the WWF Network, works with:
● Private and public banks including investors, banks, insurers, Development Finance Institutions and Multilateral Development Banks
● Financial regulators and policymakers (e.g. IMF, BIS, G20)
● International fora and platforms (e.g. UNEP-FI, UN PRI)
● Experienced actors in financial standards and rating agencies
● Centers for financial product innovation
● Other civil society organizations with an interest in finance
● Academic institutions
How to apply
Only one single document can be uploaded through our platform. Please upload your covering letter and CV in English as one file. We will not accept applications without CV and Covering Letter.
Deadline for applications: by 25 February 2024.
Work permit restrictions may apply.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.
WWF promotes affirmative action to assure equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals regardless of age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
In the administration of its employment policies and practices, WWF does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status, matriculation, political affiliation, or genetic information.