WWF-CEE, Regional Climate and Energy Lead
Posted on 25 October 2023
WWF-CEE is looking for Regional Climate and Energy Lead - full time, 2 years fixed-term contract, maternity leave replacement.
To be located in: Bratislava, Budapest, Bucharest or Sofia
WWF is the world's largest conservation organization, founded in 1961. We’re active in over 100 countries and have over 8000 employees.
WWW-Central and Eastern Europe (WWF-CEE) is the region that we call the Green Heart of Europe, with a team of over 200 highly specialized professionals, offices and projects in 6 countries: Bulgaria, Czechia, Hungary, Slovakia, Romania and Ukraine. Over the past twenty years, WWF-CEE has played a leading role in efforts to restore and sustainably manage the natural values of Central and Southeastern Europe. We are working across political borders through an ecoregional approach based on model projects, influencing policy, networking, capacity building, communication and crisis response.
About the Role
We are looking for a committed and motivated professional to lead the development of WWF CEE's climate & energy programme, capacity building of local WWF-CEE offices, the preparation and implementation of multi-country, integrated projects and advocacy work related to climate mitigation objectives of WWF-CEE.
The Regional Climate Lead also represents WWF-CEE on climate related issues both within the global WWF network and externally and is responsible for developing relevant partnerships.
Strategy and Work plan development
- Leads the development and implementation of climate mitigation components of WWF-CEE´s regional Strategic Plans and supports national strategies and work plan development.
- Ensures alignment of other WWF conservation priorities with WWF’s climate & energy policies.
- Leads the development of a climate & energy knowledge base for WWF CEE with the purpose of informing strategy and programme development.
- Leads the development of policy documents of WWF-CEE related to climate & energy strategic priorities and contributes to policy documents of WWF European and global climate teams and of other conservation staff in WWF-CEE, where relevant.
Fundraising and project development
- Drives identification and coordinates development of multi-country, complex proposals to donors, working and collaborating with essential regional partners, and supports national level fundraising.
- Represents WWF CEE towards key donors for climate mitigation work;
- Further develops and maintains relations with key donors (EU, corporate/private) on climate mitigation work.
- Cooperates with the WWF CEE Corporate Partnership team on advancing engagement with the corporate sector.
Project management and implementation
- Supervises, leads or supports implementation of multi-country projects related to climate mitigation and related fields, especially for the purpose of ensuring consistency and impact of actions and strategies employed.
- Engages national project teams implementing climate related projects especially for the purpose of ensuring consistency and impact of actions and strategies employed.
Advocacy, Partnership Development, and Networking
- Represents the organization in relevant international forums such as conferences, symposiums, and governmental and community meetings to communicate and promote our work.
- Leads and supports development and implementation of climate mitigation related advocacy strategies, including engagement with European Institutions, Members of European Parliament and other international organizations.
- Develops partnerships with other international Civil Society Organizations and coalitions in the region and at the European level working on climate mitigation issues.
- Represents WWF-CEE in WWF forums and areas of collaboration such as the global WWF Climate and Energy Practice and the WWF EU Climate & Energy coordination group and coordinates positioning of WWF-CEE within the WWF network on climate & energy issues.
Staff development and knowledge management
- Supports WWF-CEE´s capacity building efforts on climate & energy issues by coaching and mentoring colleagues and contributing to the design of relevant training programmes and events.
- Facilitates the exchange of climate knowledge both within WWF-CEE and with other WWF offices and the external expert and practitioners’ community.
- Champions on-going learning in the regional climate team, via structured knowledge-sharing and training initiatives.
Research and Analysis
- Conducts first hand scoping research and analysis of climate mitigation facts relevant for WWF CEE's climate mitigation strategy and work plan development.
- Monitors and analyses European and national trends, policies and initiatives in the main climate relevant sectors, including energy and buildings sector, and integrates them in existing strategies.
- Supports the development of innovative approaches in the field of financing for the energy transition within WWF-CEE.
- Liaises with scientists and scientific institutions for knowledge transfer and partnership development.
- Works in close coordination with the WWF-CEE regional communication team as well as across the network to communicate issues and achievements to defined target audiences.
- Leads the development of knowledge products showcasing results of WWF-CEE´s climate-related activities.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of advocacy campaigns and information campaigns.
The ideal candidate would have:
- MSc or equivalent experience in climate related fields, including engineering, environmental management or sustainable development.
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience in the area of climate mitigation and environmental protection.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of current climate mitigation issues, policies and debates particularly in Central and Eastern Europe and at EU level.
- Understanding of related subjects such as economics, natural resource management, climate & energy policies.
- Experience in coordinating/managing diverse international teams.
- Experience in engaging with high-level officials from government and the private sector in a strategic manner.
- Experience in proposal writing for large projects.
- Ambition, energy and drive, with a commitment to making a difference.
- Excellent interpersonal and team building abilities.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and one other language of the region.
- Ability to collect, analyze and transmit information in an effective manner.
- Strategic thinking and thought leadership.
- Coaching and team coordination skills.
- Project management knowledge and applied skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office and other online interactive tools.
- Ability to work in an international environment and within a multicultural team
- Adheres to the WWF mission, as well as lives the WWF’s values: courage, integrity, respect, collaboration.
- The opportunity to make a difference – for the CEE region and for WWF
- 2-year maternity replacemnet contract starting 2024, January 1st until December 2025
- Flexible working hours and remote working
- Challenging and fulfilling work in one of Europe’s most exciting eco-regions
- Friendly and highly professional working atmosphere in an international context
- Varying tasks and independent work style
- A pleasant working atmosphere and great learning environment
- A salary according to NGO standards
How to apply:
Please send an email with your CV and a Motivation letter stating your interest in this position, both written in English, to the attention of Larisa Fortunescu at email@example.com no later than 20 November 2023.