Director, Programme Management
UN Environment Programme
Deadline: 3 February 2024 at 23:59 New York time.
The mandate of UNEP's Policy and Programme Division is to strategically position UNEP’s vision and engagement through innovative policies and creative programmes. The Policy and Programme Division consolidates policy, programme, monitoring, gender and social safeguards functions, as well as engagement with the United Nations system and key global processes such as Agenda 2030.
The incumbent will be a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT). Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director, the incumbent shall be responsible for the following duties:
- Lead the formulation of corporate strategy and policy related to the organization's strategic objectives and programmes, including Medium Term Strategy and Programme of Work, liaising with Member States, partners and other stakeholders as appropriate, ensuring that relevant programme strategies and related instruments are developed in a coherent and cohesive fashion, are of the highest quality and in line with priorities approved by Member States. Coordinate the integration of UNEP’s activities across Divisions, Regional Offices and environmental conventions, as appropriate; coordinate the periodic review and reporting of corporate performance against the strategic objectives, as well as the formulation of strategic performance indicators and targets and their measurement.
- Lead UNEP’s efforts to promote a culture of results including by enhancing UNEP's reporting and communication on results as well as by increasing the use of data; lead’s UNEP’s efforts to strengthen results-based management. Develop capacity in the various operational units of the organization: establishing and communicating quality standards, and providing advisory services related to project design, implementation, monitoring and reporting. Provide guidance to the Project Review Committee secretariat that reviews project concepts and documents and provides guidance on how they can align to corporate goals.
- Contribute to UNEP’s corporate decision making and the Senior Management Team's policy and strategic discussions; coordinate and supervise the preparation of policy analyses, formulation, contributions, in collaboration with the Executive Office, the relevant Divisions, Chief Scientist and UN entities as appropriate. Oversee the formulation of overall strategies and policies by participating in various committees, preparing documents on policy issues, and acting as required in an advisory capacity to the Executive Director.
- Lead UNEP’s positioning vis-à-vis the UN Development System reforms, including by providing overall guidance on optimal modes of service delivery in support of the new generation of UN Country Team and reinvigorated Resident Coordinator system; coordinate UNEP’s position setting vis-à-vis the inter-agency and inter-government activities carried out through the New York Office; lead the integration of UNEP’s programme and policies on the 2030 sustainable development agenda; contribute to the preparations of reports for presentation to intergovernmental bodies such as the UN Environment Assembly, the Committee of Permanent Representatives, the Economic and Social Council, the General Assembly, and other inter-agency coordination and policy making organs as required; support and provide guidance to the organization's corporate policy advocacy work.
- Coordinate and identify the strategic engagement opportunities for UNEP with the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and the Green Climate Fund (GCF), as well as with the with key financial institutions and global funds. Provide leadership and act as an incubator and "docking station" for strategic initiatives on key global and cross-cutting issues, in coordination with relevant divisions and regional offices; and support negotiations with donors, partners and supporters, as appropriate.
- Lead UNEP’s engagement in South-South and Triangular Cooperation and provide strategic support to Regional Offices and Divisions in engaging with relevant partners, including diverse development banks.
- Oversee ongoing efforts to incorporate and mainstream cross-cutting issues, inter alia, gender, environmental and social safeguards, and poverty; facilitate the collaboration and interactive process of programme formulation and implementation between Divisions and Regional Offices.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Executive Director.
Educational Requirements: An advanced university degree (Master’s or Doctorate degree, or equivalent) in Political Science, International Relations, Development, Economics, Environmental Management, or other relevant fields is required. A first-level degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Work Experience Requirements:
- Ten (10) years' experience at a senior management leadership position in an international and/or multicultural organizations is required.
- Experience in managing programmes with global partners and stakeholders is required.
- Experience within the international environment governance system is required.
- Experience in public and governmental institutions is desirable.
- Experience in politically complex environment is desirable.
Language Requirements: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of any other official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: ''Fluency'' equals a rating of ''fluent'' in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ''Knowledge of'' equals a rating of ''confident'' in two of the four areas.
More information in the Terms of Reference (click on "Apply").