INTERNATIONAL CONSULTANT - ENVIRONMENTAL STRATEGY EXPERT
UN Environment Programme
Updating Strategies for two pilot sectors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Organizational Setting, Purpose, and Objective:
To enhance Iraq’s capacities and readiness to meet its commitments under a set of Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs), UNEP supported the Government of Iraq in the development of a National Environmental Information System. This system was established to be the main source of information relating to the current and evolving status of the environment of Iraq. The system is designed based on six categories of environmental indicators containing 22 indicators that are presented to the user through “dashboard” approach as well as GIS maps and satellite imagery to achieve the desired environmental monitoring.
The objective of this international consultancy is to collaborate with the Ministry of Environment (MoE) and Ministry of Planning (MoP) in Iraq within the framework of Iraq Environment Information System (EIS) project to identify different mechanisms and update strategies/plans for two pilot sectors, either at the federal or governorate level to mainstream the environmental dimensions/MEAs in Iraq.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Coordinator for Science-Policy at UNEP, the International Consultant will carry-out, inter alia, the following duties and responsibilities:
Update of Iraq Sectoral Strategies and Plans
- Collaborate with the related ministries, Ministry of Environment (MoE) and Ministry of Planning (MoP), to identify different mechanisms to incorporate knowledge from the Environment Information System (EIS) into sectoral strategies and plans to monitor and evaluate progress in the implementation of MEAs and related policies.
- Update strategies in at least 2 pilot sectors selected by the Ministry of Environment, at the federal or governorate level, to mainstream the environmental dimension and Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs).
- D1: Analysis Report on the identified mechanisms related to the Ministry of Environment and Ministry of Planning in Iraq.
- D2: Update strategies in at least 2 pilot sectors selected by the Ministry of Environment in Iraq.
Master’s degree in environmental sciences, science policy, public relations or another relevant subject is required.
Minimum 7 years’ experience in data analysis, public relations, environmental law and policies or similar field is required.
Experience in environmental management and monitoring is desirable.
Understanding and knowledge of Multilateral Environmental Agreements is desirable.
Familiarity with the Iraqi and regional environmental context is required.
Ability to conduct research and work independently is required.
Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.