Procurement Officer, Kenya
Trees for the Future
About Trees for the Future
At Trees for the Future (TREES), we train farmers in sustainable land use so that they can build vibrant regional economies, thriving food systems, and a healthier planet. As a global leader in agroforestry training for over 30 years, TREES provides hands-on education and support, encouraging farmers in developing countries to work with nature, not against it.
Our signature methodology, the Forest Garden Approach, helps farmers transform their land with thousands of trees and dozens of crops, creating new possibilities for themselves, and their communities. By embracing sustainable land practices, farmers are reclaiming their agency, breaking the cycles of climate change and generational poverty, and rebuilding our food systems from the ground up. Learn more at trees.org.
About the Opportunity
The Procurement Officer will oversee the procurement activities in the Country Program across multiple regions and ensure that purchased items are both cost-efficient and of high quality. The Procurement Officer’s responsibilities include implementing TREES’ Global Procurement Policy and Procedure, ensuring transparent transactions, maintaining positive supplier relations, evaluating supply options, and maintaining accurate records. To be successful as a Procurement Officer you should have an analytic mind and keep up with product and service trends. Ultimately, a top Procurement Officer should be able to negotiate well and ensure that all purchases comply with company standards.
In this role, you will…
- Manage the entire process of planning of procurement and supply chain activities, stores management and distribution of goods procured ensuring timely deliveries to avoid unprecedented delays.
- Prepare annual procurement plans and monitor implementation of the procurement plan
- Prepare prequalification documents, prequalify potential suppliers, maintain a roster of suppliers and manage relationships with vendors, suppliers and contractors that facilitate smooth flow of services
- Ensure timely preparation of procurement processes for projects and monitor procurement including receipt of requisitions, organization of RFQ materials and documents, RFP, receipt of quotations, bids and proposals, evaluation and negotiation of certain contracts in full compliance with Trees Procurement Manual
- Evaluate all procurement requirements and ensure timely procurement and delivery of goods, works and services based on purchase requests received from user departments and using the most appropriate and efficient procurement procedures
- Ensure full compliance of all procurement activities with Trees Procurement Manual, Financial Rules and Regulations, relevant organizational directives and administrative instructions
- Implement effective internal controls, process improvements, proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system for Trees projects and related reporting
- Maintain good supplier relations and negotiating contracts.
- Oversee travel arrangements including planning and executing complex travel itineraries for international staff for Trees, (Hotel booking airport transfers and coordinating travel logistics).
- Manage and monitor all transactional procurement including tendering processes, evaluation, contracting, contract management, legal considerations and payment conditions, contractors, performance evaluation, documentation and risk assessment.
- Support the functioning of the Procurement unit, Committees and Evaluation teams.
- Prepare timely and accurate monthly procurement reports and submit to the Director of Finance and Operations.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with standard reporting requirements and audits
- Overseeing all procurement and purchasing activities
- Maintain Country Procurement Plan and Blanket Purchase Agreements with selected vendors
- Maintain and keep current preferred vendor list
- Work closely with the field teams to better understand procurement bottlenecks and timing needs.
- Work with HQ staff to implement procurement processes including open tendering to reduce collusion, over pricing and fairness during sourcing of goods and services.
- Work closely with the Logistician and Compliance Officer to:
- Initiate assets tagging, verification, maintenance, monitoring and write-off/disposal as may be appropriate in compliance with established rules and procedures.
- Ensure all stores and equipment held by the projects are stored safely, correctly and securely depending on item classifications
- Organize and deliver training materials for the project personnel on procurement, supply chain and assets management
- Work closely with the Logistician and Compliance Officer to find the most cost effective solutions for transport, warehousing, and distribution (reviewing the vendor to last mile chain)
- Collaborate with the Seed Bank Officer:
- Negotiate with identified vendors in cases where the seed is being procured from other vendors who are not our trained vendors.
- Acknowledge together with the seed bank team the receipt of seeds.
- Verify the delivered quantities against the requested quantities.
- Verify the quantities going out.
- Inventory management for seed payments, stocks, and distribution
You’ll be a great fit if you have…
- University Degree in Procurement, Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, Commerce or related relevant field.
- 3 years of relevant experience working in Procurement, preferably in an NGO/and/or development program, with in-depth experience in managing complex sourcing processes and supplier relationships in the delivery and management of procurement and supply chain services, stores and assets management.
- Professional qualification in procurement completed or ongoing (CIPS or CPSP)
- Membership to a local/International professional entity (KISM) is essential.
- Knowledge of NGO/ Donor policies and their compliance requirements in respect of Procurement and wider supply chain activity.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and use of computer applications and systems.
- Fluency in both verbal and written English is essential
- Solid knowledge and experience in planning and implementing sourcing activities and processes.
- Excellent supplier management skills and a strong ability to hold suppliers accountable to deliver on their responsibilities.
- Excellent Contract management, negotiations, and relationship management skills.
- Ability to promote integrity and business ethics; demonstrate mature judgment, trust and open communication; ability to ensure effective team work, collaborative behaviour and team spirit.
- Understanding of Agriculture and tree planting implementation and specific program needs and quality of products a plus.
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
- Ability to manage complex situations.
- Ability to provide policy advice.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to prioritize complex work schedules.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills
Ready to Join our Team?