Dry End Assistant
Sappi Southern Africa
Dry End Assistant (P13)
We are hiring!
At Sappi, we are a leading global provider with a reputation for delivering high-quality sustainable Woodfibre products and solutions for the global markets. We lead through our values centered around safety, integrity, courage, and making smart decisions which we execute with speed. We are seeking unique people who believe in fostering a diverse and inclusive and safe environment.
We’re on the lookout for an experienced Dry End Assistant for the Dry End of the Machines. The main purpose of the Dry End Assistant, in conjunction with the Dryer man, is that the dryer, calendar and pope operations run effectively and ensuring the correct sampling is done, tested and indicated accordingly.
As a Dry End Assistant, you will be responsible for:
- Assist in the clearing of broke from the spools returned from the winder. This will go hand in hand with the input of the tonnages into the PTS system.
- Assist in the housekeeping in and outside of the dryer, Calendar-,pope- and kitchen rail areas.
- Report equipment problems to the Shift Superintendent.
- Responsible for taking and transferal of samples to the laboratory.
- Assist with rope changes on the machine.
- Assist in the preparation of clothing for the machine.
- Assist on the winder on an adhoc basis as required.
- Stand in for the Dryerman as required.
- Assist on KLB paper machine shuts, as required / directed.
- Assist with the feeding of paper after a break. The incumbent shall when instructed to do so, follow and comply to all work-related and safety instructions given to him / her by a person authorized to do so. This includes assisting in other areas in the Paper Mills jurisdiction, other than their normal functional area.
- Assists with feeding of paper slab onto the broke conveyor for repulping.
- Inspect all printouts of every reel against standard specifications for mass and moisture. Makes recommendations to shift sup regarding the findings.
- Required to do a comparison of every reel against standards whereby the shift sup will have to be informed to make a decision regarding the paper.
- Ensure that all webs requiring a retest is marked “HOLD”. These webs must also be sampled and delivered to the lab for further testing.
- Inspect all jumbos for appearance, coverage, formation, sizes, winding, barcoding, levels, slackness, stencilling, strapping, wrapping, creases, blotches and dirt.
- Enter all defective webs into the computer to provide an up to date list of rejects at the end of shift.
- Enter reel details on winder PTS before winding and changes the details after winding ins the event of paper being rejected.
- Marks trial reel with trail tape when produced.
What are we looking for?
- Grade 12 with Maths and Physical Science or,
- N3 Pulp & Paper.
- 0-6 months production experience.
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunity to work within a global organisation that continues to thrive in a rapidly changing world even after 80 years of existence
- Learning and development programmes
- Opportunities to travel (dependent on the role)
- Market-leading leave benefits
- Employee wellbeing benefits
Closing Date: 26 February 2024
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below if you encounter any issues while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. At Sappi, we encourage and support vaccination.