Senior Maintenance Engineer
Sappi Southern Africa
Senior Maintenance Engineer (HRL 17)
We are hiring!
At Sappi, we are a leading global provider with a reputation for delivering high-quality sustainable Woodfibre products and solutions for the global markets. We lead through our values centered around safety, integrity, courage, and making smart decisions which we execute with speed. We are seeking unique people who believe in fostering a diverse and inclusive and safe environment.
We’re on the lookout for an experienced Senior Maintenance Engineer to supply competent and cost-effective maintenance and engineering support, service, advice, solutions and techniques to maximise plant availability in a safe, and legally compliant manner.
As a Senior Maintenance Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- All statutory requirements in the section in accordance with the OHS Act.
- Support ISO9020 (Quality Management System), ISO14001 (Environmental Management Standards), ISO50001 (Energy Management System), ), ISO 55001, (Asset Management System) and OHSAS18000 (Health and Safety Management System) for engineering in the section.
- Ensure compliance of contractors to all SHEQ policies, procedures, best practices and work instructions by performing walkabouts and inspections as well as checking their safety files.
- Actively drive the use of plant reliability monitoring techniques to ensure proactive maintenance and eliminate unplanned downtime.
- Manage equipment uptime through fast response and repairs of plant breakdowns.
- Monitor frequency and modes of equipment failures, breakdowns, accidents and overtime.
- Manage projects for equipment renewals and capital projects on time and within budget for a whole plant or machine.
- Log all activities using the SAP system and use system reports for upwards reporting and monitoring.
- Participate in thorough and evidence-based Root Cause Analyses in the plant. Call for support from the Lean and/or specialist Engineers for complex cases.
- Ensure that equipment Quality Control Plans (QCPs) meet Sappi standards and are in place where appropriate. Develop and review QCPs for new equipment and when an RCA identifies a weakness ensuring that all the engineering disciplines are considered.
- Manage all shut equipment requirements such as labour, spares reservations, scaffold, and crane requirements, etc. to ensure that these resources are available at the start of the shut and that the shut is executed according to objectives and standards.
- Develop shut plans for monthly, quarterly and annual shuts as required.
- Participate in the commissioning of new and decommissioning of old equipment within the section according to sound engineering practices for all specific engineering disciplines.
- Participate to contract negotiations for engineering contracts as a technical specialist.
- Manage capital projects for equipment on time and within budget.
- Participate in the maintenance and operational budgeting and forecasting process on an annual basis.
- Manage overtime in the department within legislative (BCEA) and budgetary requirements whilst ensuring availability of sufficient manpower resources.
- Negotiates pricing and orders with various suppliers in consultation with the Procurement Department.
- Monitor the plant's maintenance expenses on a weekly and monthly basis and analyse over or under spend.
- Prepare daily, weekly and monthly maintenance reports using system and qualitative data.
- Oversee the recruitment, recognition, performance management, remuneration, development and discipline of the section’s maintenance and production teams.
What are we looking for?
- BSc/BEng/BTech/Advance Diploma in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum of 5 to 10 years’ experience as an Electrical/ Mechanical Engineer in a heavy industry/manufacturing environment.
- Government Certificate of Competency would be advantageous. (Factories).
- 5 years’ experience managing multidiscipline maintenance teams in a section/area.
- MDP or equivalent would be advantageous.
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunity to work within a global organisation that continues to thrive in a rapidly changing world even after 80 years of existence.
- Learning and development programmes.
- Opportunities to travel (dependent on the role).
- Market-leading leave benefits.
- Employee wellbeing benefits.
Closing Date: 26 February 2024
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below if you encounter any issues while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. At Sappi, we encourage and support vaccination.