Area Manager Risk - MPU
Sappi Southern Africa
Forestry - Grootgeluk
Area Manager Risk - MPU (HRL 18)
We are hiring!
At Sappi, we are a leading global provider with a reputation for delivering high-quality sustainable Woodfibre products and solutions for the global markets. We lead through our values centred around integrity, courage, making smart decisions which we execute with speed. We are seeking unique people who believe in fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
We’re on the lookout for a Area Risk Manager - MPU to lead, direct & facilitate the risk management systems on Safety, Environment, Health & Risk (SHER) in order to ensure compliance & procedures are developed and improved to mitigate risks and reduce waste
As a Area Risk Manager - MPU , you will be responsible for:
- To co-ordinate and ensure the successful implementation of the integrated risk management system in the regions:
- Build and maintain awareness of SHER requirements through formal training, field days, simulations and provide a regular consultation service to operational management and contractors.
- Support the review and compliance to the system (legal register, risk database, objectives & targets document, document control, procedure development and maintenance, training matrices, corrective action, monitoring, auditing) to ensure SHER compliance is maintained;
- Conduct SHER assessments (Incident investigations, simulations, risk assessments), support the development of management plans and conduct other specialist consultation;
- Undertake measurements and monitoring exercises to gather data for assessing hazards and risks and mitigation thereof.
- To ensure compliance to the regional integrated risk management system is updated and maintained
- Review current practices and procedures with key internal and external role players and experts;
- Integrate various SHER components and procedures into integrated best practice and develop procedures when necessary.
- Ensure that strategy is worked into operational implementation plans across the region
- Schedule and plan for internal assessments and audits to support the SHER focus of the Risk Management System
- Conduct internal assessments and audits, and prepare & support operations for certification audits;
- Lead and support the Safety team, and collaborate with Occupational Health, Environment, Community , Fire & Security Risk managers to provide a coordinated and aligned regional risk management service
- Interact with authorities on legal issues such as permit applications, authorisations and exemptions;
- Interact with stakeholders and the general public on SHER issues of concern (communication about and mitigation of impacts);
- Host external field days, visits and other functions on plantations and other Sappi Forests facilities;
- Provide information on an "as needed" basis for publications and other interactions with the public.
- Monitor relationships with communities, and other internal & external stakeholders to ensure company image is upheld, risks mitigated and relationships enhanced
What are wee looking for?
- National Diploma in Safety Management or related NQF Level 6 qualification in Safety, and or Forestry
- A Bachelor’s degree and or Forestry qualification will be advantageous
- At least 5 years relevant experience
- Computer literate (MS Office Package)
- SAP experience will be advantageous
Closing Date: 23 February 2024
How to Apply? Please click on one of the buttons below. If you encounter any issues while applying contact your HR contact.
Feel free to visit our website for further information www.sappi.com
Sappi is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. At Sappi, we encourage and support vaccination.