Senior Finance Manager
We are an insuretech firm that provides agriculture insurance design and execution services, specialising in index based insurance and are backed by top tier VC investors who have invested more than $25 million in the business. Since 2015 we have provided climate insurance to 15.4 million smallholder farmers, 41% of which were women across 19 markets in Africa and Asia who pay an average of $6.8 per season to insure their crops. So far we've unlocked over $2.22 billion of capital from local and international insurance markets for climate risks since we started in 2015 and paid out $40.8 million to our client farmers.
Pula is a fast-paced space, constantly adapting to new opportunities and challenges and we are made up of a high-performance, multi-cultural team. We expect our team to value performance, results and professionalism.
At Pula, our values are:
- Obsessed with results: We are responsible for our future and therefore we get things done!
- Connect the Dots: We continuously identify different customer needs & business problems and build solutions that deliver value.
- Have a Can do Attitude! We dare to do things differently to make things work.
- We have each others’ back: We look out for each other & we share high quality, timely feedback that makes us better.
What you will be doing
This is a high-impact role reporting to the Finance Director and below will be your responsibilities
- Budgeting & Financial Planning: Preparation, supervision, and tracking of capital and operational budgets as well as ﬁnancial analysis, forecasting and modelling
- Financial reporting – responsible for monthly performance briefs, quarterly management accounts, and annual audited accounts as per investor, Donors, and other stakeholder requirements
- Finance Operations: Oversee the ﬁnance processes including improving our controls from procurement to payables processes
- Finance Risk Management: including currency risk management, credit risk management, liquidity risk management, and operational development and implementation of the investment policy
- Financial systems infrastructure: Initiation and implementation of internal procedures and controls, including purchasing, payments to suppliers, payroll and expenditure
- Receivables management: Supervise collection of company debt and maintenance of debt accounts
- Finance Team Management and leadership
- Monitor the banking activities of the organization
- Ensure adequate cash flow to meet the organization's needs including cash flow management, forecasting, and planning
- Monitor and control expenditures and budgets
- Monitor and analyze monthly operational results against periods and budget issue reports to management
- Oversee Compliance with the Income Tax Act, VAT ACT, and other statutory deductions across Africa and other regulations when making payments to employees and suppliers of goods and other services across
- Develop new and review existing ﬁnance / accounting policies and procedures and ensure any gaps are sealed
What do you need to succeed
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance, or a related field. MBA preferred.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Computer skills
- Communication & interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented
- Qualiﬁed Accountant
- At least 7 years of work
- Atleast4 years experience in a management
- Financial Modeling
- SAGE ERP experience and finance systems automation
- Multinational company experience across Africa, Asia and Europe is an added advantage team for the implementation of the solution.
What Pula will bring to the table
- Growth potential: With an untapped market of 1.5 billion smallholders worldwide, on track to doubling the number of farmers insured in 2021 and Pula’s global leadership in Agriculture Insurance, our new staffers have a tremendous upside growth potential.
- Market Leader: Not only is the opportunity massive, but Pula is by far the market leader in it’s category with 11m farmers insured as of 2023.
- Solid: Pula has been funded by leading venture capital investors (Omidyar Network, ACCION, MercyCorps) and global philanthropic institutions (MasterCard Foundation, CGAP/World Bank as well as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation). Pula closed a $6m series A funding in December 2020 in the right in the middle of the pandemic a clear testimony of the opportunity that Pula is going after.
- Respected: Winner of the Singapore FinTech Festival 2019, Winner of The InsureTech of the Award, Africa. Featured on TED talks, The New York Times, The Economist.
- Impact and creation: This is a high-impact role, that offers a unique opportunity to bring the company to the next level, whilst developing new strategies, approaches and ideas.
- Leadership: The founders & CEO foster a culture of transparency, respect, high performance, pragmatism, execution and personal development.
- Purpose: It is rare to find a professional opportunity that offers accelerated professional development and a life purpose. Pula is going through a second phase of accelerated growth that will naturally provide professional development, whilst contributing to the financial stability of small farmers in the emerging markets.
- Remuneration: Competitive base salary accordingly with seniority and experience, commission on closed sales and an employee share option plan that offers an attractive equity upside.
To learn more about Pula you can visit
- TED Talk: Crop Insurance, an Idea Worth Seeding
- New York Times: He Grew up on a Farm. Now, He Helps Protect Them
- The Economist: The Poor, Who Most Need Insurance, Are Least Likely to Have It
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Cover letters are optional. You can add one if there is any additional information you would like to share about your interest in Pula, the role or your experience. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Pula’s mission is to provide farmer resilience. To achieve this, we put our small holder farmers that use our services and the employees that provide them at the heart of everything we do. For that purpose, Pula was created to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.