Ethiopia Research and Evaluation Analyst
One Acre Fund
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund works to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers. In Ethiopia, we engage farmers in agroforestry and community-based seed multiplication to increase farmers' incomes and improve farming systems. Engaging with local actors at every step and bringing ideas from outside, we are making rural farming more marketable and environmentally sustainable. At present, the Ethiopia program serves over 200,000 farmers, grows over 20 million trees per year. By 2025, we aim to serve 300,000 farmers and plant 100 million trees.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
As the Research and Evaluation Analyst, you will oversee program study designs, use data-driven results to make recommendations that increase farmer impact, and improve our operations. You will coordinate the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) activities across multiple programs in Ethiopia. Using the MEL results, you will provide relevant programmatic recommendations on improvement of our operations and work with the leadership team to make informed decisions to steer our long-term impact strategy. You will report to the Agroforestry MEL Lead.
- Study design and execution- You will work with different team members, both from in-country departments and global teams, to identify research goals, conceptualize (including scoping out the theory of change) and develop evaluation plans that aim to quantify program impact and answer other strategic queries. You will develop detailed implementation plans, oversee main tasks linked with the project calendar, and deliver the results as per agreed calendar
- Team management- You will directly manage the Ethiopia Senior MEL specialist and the Field Research Specialist. Your direct reports manage a team of up to 50+ temporary staff. You will work with your team to set department goals, and then guide your team to achieve these through setting clear expectations, delegation, coaching and regular performance evaluations
- Departmental leadership- You will be in charge of the MEL department strategic processes. You will develop the annual department work plans, calendars, goals, and a monitoring evaluation and learning strategy for the projects developed. You will also oversee the MEL department annual budgeting, cash forecast and monthly spending reporting and lead cost efficiency improvement
- Data management and data quality control- You will create a data-led management culture with a high degree of independence and results ownership. You will uphold and improve data quality standards to ensure our impact evaluation and strategic decisions to improve our program are based on accurate and up-to-date information.
- Data analysis and synthesis- You will contribute to the analysis and triangulation of qualitative and quantitative monitoring data, synthesize results in a report and share findings with the country and global teams for learning and making decisions.
- Intra and inter-department communication- You will harness communication within the MEL department, country programs and global teams. You will compile M&E results to draw early and final conclusions and develop high quality reports/ communication tools suited to the different teams. You will report on the progress of project implementation, problem diagnosis and recommend corrective actions to the team members.
- Influencing program design- You will improve MEL coordination with the country program teams to ensure MEL work is aligned to program-specific impact goals. You will work with the program and field teams to ensure M&E results and recommendations are understood and acted upon. You will follow up on the implementation of the recommendations by the program teams
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- 3+ years experience in design and implementation of evaluation studies, creating data collection tools, conducting statistical data analysis, reporting and team management.
- Knowledge of evaluation concepts and mastery of experimental and quasi-experimental evaluation designs.
- Data analysis skills such as regressions, propensity score matching, difference in difference design
- Knowledge of statistical software (e.g. Stata, R, Advanced Excel- can maintain complex spreadsheets. (Knowledge of Dataiku supported languages such as R, Python etc is an added advantage).
- An understanding of qualitative data analysis approaches [Nice to have]
- A Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Economics, Agronomy, or research related field.
- 1+ years experience in leadership and building staff capacity
- Organizational, coordination skill-set and an enthusiasm for learning and growth.
- Fluency in English and Amharic
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Addis Ababa or Bahir Dar, Ethiopia with significant field travel
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
This role is open to Ethiopian citizens, permanent residents, and origin cardholders.
15 March 2024
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.