Burundi Field Operations Associate/Manager
One Acre Fund
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
Field Operations is the core of our program, responsible for setting strategy, developing content, liaising with other departments, and ensuring execution of our program at scale. The main objective of our Field Operations team is to build the capacity of our local staff to provide financially sustainable impact, at scale, to all farmers. Every material or strategy rolled out through the core program reaches over 275,000 farmers and helps to improve the core program in Burundi. The Field Operations Department implements the program of One Acre Fund Burundi in the field through a team of 615+ Field Officers
- These agents are in close contact with farmers and provide them with the main services offered by One Acre Fund , such as training, credit management and the access to products
- As a Program Associate/Manager, you will learn from field operations and will help improve our program. Your role will focus on execution of our core program and general program development
- You will be managed by the Field Operations Lead and will manage multiple Field Leaders
There is a possibility that this role will have rotational opportunities in different departments for a strong understanding of our operation, leading to higher impact.
- Program execution and monitoring: Lead the team that is ultimately responsible for the timely implementation of One Acre Fund’s unique program that fights poverty and hunger on a daily basis, growing in scale and impact from season to season.
- Team leadership: Passionate about people development, plan and oversee teambuilding, advocate for field staff at all levels, and find creative ways to inspire and unite a large team.
- Staff development: Establish and cultivate strong relationships to ensure that all staff on the Field Operations team can maximise their career performance and job satisfaction as part of the One Acre Fund family.
- Knowledge management: Continuously find new ways to streamline documentation processing and knowledge management for an operation that is rapidly growing in both size and complexity.
- Budget management: As a strategic thinker, efficiently oversee the creation and compilation of annual and monthly budgets; utilise your history of leading and building successful initiatives with measurable results to support program improvements that will increase operational efficiency and reduce operating costs.
- Support innovation: Create and support ideas that will help One Acre Fund reach its goal of serving more farmers every year 1; provide regular feedback on trial ideas and practical support to the innovations teams as they work to integrate new products and new program design ideas into core operations.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- At least two years of work experience in a project management or team management capacity like management consulting, investment banking, corporate development, etc.
- A Bachelor's degree is required for this position
- Sense of ethics, honesty, and integrity
- Passion for capacity building and investing in others
- Willingness to commit to living in a rural setting for at least two years.
- Work experience of at least one year in a developing country is preferred.
- Language skills - English (required), French (preferred), Kirundi (preferred)
- Adaptability and flexibility based on operational needs
- Desire to learn all aspects of our operation
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
One Acre Fund can support a work permit for this role. However, nationals of (or those with an extensive professional background and work history in) our countries of operation are preferred.
14 March 2024
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.