Nairobi, Kenya · Lagos, Nigeria · Kampala, Uganda · Washington, DC, USA · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
Who We Are
Nithio is an AI-driven platform for climate finance. Nithio leverages the power of artificial intelligence to fundamentally transform how credit risk is assessed. Our mission is clear: to catalyze billions of capital into solutions that combat climate change and facilitate universal access to clean energy.
Through our investment vehicle, FAIR (Facility for Adaptation, Inclusion, and Resilience), we directly lend capital in the decentralized energy sector, empowering companies to provide households with clean and reliable energy sources. We work hand in hand with other investors, providing them with the insights and tools needed to scale their investments effectively, all while navigating the complex credit risk landscape.
We’re looking for team members who value the opportunity to work with a fun, passionate, and talented global team. Join us in our mission to reshape the future.
Nithio seeks an Investment Manager to drive innovation and progress in climate finance and energy access. As Investment Manager, you will be the go-to person for our entire loan portfolio and own initiatives that design, implement, and track the policies, systems, and procedures necessary to rapidly scale the FAIR Team operations according to the company OKRs.
This is a remote-first role with great potential for growth and expansion in responsibilities. You’ll be joining a growing, mission-driven company with a solid commitment to positive social impact. The Investment Manager will report to the Chief Investment Officer.
This full-time position can be based remotely from Nigeria, Kenya, or North America. The role will require occasional international travel.
- Team Management & Mentoring: Day-to-day management, training, and mentorship of a team of 3-4 analysts and junior investment officers; actively develop skills and career trajectory of a junior team; recruit new team members
- Portfolio Management: Oversee Nithio’s complete loan portfolio; regularly provides updates to executives and key stakeholders on portfolio health
- Client Origination: Source, identify, and analyze new partner and investment opportunities via an extensive, leveraging a referenceable network of contacts
- Client Management: With the support of investment analysts, manage partnerships with clients on an ongoing basis
- Thought Leadership: Represent Nithio at conferences/events and author blogs to advance Nithio’s reputation and reach.
- Innovation Lead: Oversee research/analysis, develop investment theses for new markets/geographies, sectors/technologies, and competitive landscapes
- Transaction Management: Lead key transactions in new sectors/geographies and oversee team transactions, including a leads/deals database to track all companies through their lifecycle accurately
- Credit Risk Policies & Procedures: Develop & implement company policies, maintaining an understanding of investment landscape over time
- Investment Team Systems: Design & implement team-wide systems to measure, mitigate, manage, and limit credit risk exposures; regularly check in with junior officers to implement team-wide improvements
Who You Are
- A self-starter, passionate about creating lasting change in developing markets
- Have demonstrated experience working in Africa and/or emerging markets
- Have a track record of outstanding focus and drive to achieve outsized results
- Highly entrepreneurial and self-motivated; expert at managing your own time
- Possess superior problem-solving, judgment, and decision-making skills with the ability to articulate and present points of view and ideas effectively
- You have a track record of successfully prioritizing multiple competing priorities with strong attention to detail
- You can advance discrete projects both independently and as part of a team
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and work well on a distributed/global team
- Exemplify our values: Collaboration, Commitment, Growth, Marking a Difference, and Adaptability
- Experience mentoring, training, and developing staff to facilitate team growth
- You’re a networker skilled at building and maintaining professional relationships across countries, personalities, and the political spectrum to achieve a positive impact
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in a quantitative field (Business, Finance, Mathematics, Economics, Engineering, or a related field)
- 10 years of experience in leading, structuring, negotiating, and executing debt investments in the financial/renewable energy sectors, including experience in investment/commercial banking, private equity, debt funds, or corporate finance. Prior experience in a high-growth startup environment is a strong plus.
- Proven track record of sustainable achievement in modeling and analysis; outstanding focus, energy, and drive to achieve results
- Experience with launching new funds in new sectors and/or geographies.
- Fluent in GSuite and Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Excellent presentation skills, which enable the delivery of concise and persuasive new business and investment presentations
Please use the form linked below to apply for this position. Nithio cannot sponsor or transfer employment visas. All applicants should have permanent work authorization before applying. Applicants requiring visas will be removed from consideration.
Founded in 2018, Nithio is a remote-first, global company with teams in Nairobi, Lagos, Washington, D.C., and London.
Why work at Nithio?
Nithio prides itself on fostering a supportive, inclusive, and collaborative work culture where people are purpose-driven, conscientious, and motivated to generate positive social and environmental impact alongside financial returns at scale. We offer a competitive compensation package, generous benefits, and a positive work culture at an ambitious startup that strongly encourages a healthy life-work balance.
Some of our benefits and perks include:
- Competitive health benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, HSA, & FSA
- Flexible work environment, generous leave policies, and global holidays
- Remote workforce with stipends to set up work-from-home
- Monthly stipend for meals & phone
- Annual professional development funds
- An annual, in-person retreat
- Make a tangible impact by addressing the world’s urgent challenges
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Nithio is committed to embracing the diversity of views and backgrounds that our colleagues bring and helping them achieve their professional and personal goals. A solid commitment to diversity and inclusion among our team enables us to serve our clients better and achieve our central mission of increasing access to energy and financial services. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, women, LGBTQ+ people, and people with intersectional identities.
Nithio recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, family status, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.