Climate Smart Agriculture - Chief of Party (Open Call)
Land O'Lakes Venture37
Individuals with experience in East/Southern Africa and Asia are encouraged to apply.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 is preparing for multiple USAID and USDA proposals with a focus on climate smart agriculture. Climate-focused elements of the proposals may include:
- adapted agricultural inputs
- nature-based and regenerative solutions
- energy-saving and renewable energy solutions
- food loss and waste solutions
- water-saving and irrigation techniques and technologies
- climate finance
- payments for ecosystem services and carbon credits
- weather information and early-warning systems, and technical advisory services
- ICT for CSA dissemination
The Chief of Party will provide overall leadership, management and general technical direction of the entire program, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors. The COP will provide strategic vision and technical leadership, supervise team members, and implementing partners to ensure proper reporting, financial management, and compliance. The COP will identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate program adjustments. S/he will act as the key liaison between USAID or USDA and all other counterparts, implementing partners and government officials involved with the program, and will ensure the project is planned and executed with quality, accountability, and measurable impact. The position location is to be determined.
- Responsible for overall management to achieve project results while serving as principal liaison with U.S. Government (USG) representatives, other implementing partners, relevant government counterparts, the private sector and other public and private stakeholders.
- Provide technical direction and leadership as well as oversight of all administrative matters in all program areas.
- Develop and implement work plans for project activities and all project deliverables.
- Oversee implementation of project monitoring, evaluation and learning activities and ensure that project results are met.
- Supervise development and submission of project deliverables within budget and provide timely and accurate reporting and briefings to USG/Stakeholders on all program areas.
- Ensure project is implemented in full compliance with Venture37 standard operating procedures and practices and all relevant USAID/USDA and USG rules and regulations.
- Manage the program team in a manner that is open and respectful, encourages professional development, and solicits constructive staff input.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Degree in a relevant field such as agribusiness, international development, finance, economics, or other relevant or equivalent field.
- Five (5) years of progressive experience leading international donor-supported programs in developing countries.
- Experience implementing projects with a focus on Climate-smart agriculture or any of the climate-smart elements described above.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain productive relationships with host-country government counterparts.
- Previous experience networking with USAID, USDA and other donors, governments, and diverse sets of public and private sector stakeholders.
- Proven leadership skills building and managing cooperative, high-level relationships and motivating diverse teams.
- Experience managing projects to facilitate private-sector investment and locally led development approaches.
- Demonstrated experience adapting project implementation and activities to achieve objectives and targets as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across projects, be flexible, and creative and successfully lead an intercultural team in complex development contexts.
- Ability to communicate effectively, instilling trust and confidence.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral presentation skills.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- An advanced degree (e.g. MA/MS, PhD) in agribusiness, international development, economics, international trade, business management, agricultural or rural development or other relevant field.
- Previous experience serving as Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party on a US Government-funded project.
- Experience overseeing project start-ups, particularly in complex operating environments.
The position described above is contingent upon activity award.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted.
Land O’Lakes never requests money or payment from candidates for any position type. Please report any such requests to Land O’Lakes.
Land O’Lakes Venture37 is an equal opportunity employer and an organization striving to help global communities thrive through agriculture. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status, among other factors. Our culture values a diversity of voices. So bring us your unique experiences, your workstyle, and your dreams — they’ll only make us stronger.