HSE Manager, Employee Safety
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
About KOKO Networks
KOKO Networks is a venture-backed climate-tech company with 1,800+ employees across East Africa, India, and the United Kingdom. Our mission is to imagine and deliver technology that improves life in the world’s fastest growing cities. We offer a fast-paced and highly collaborative work environment with significant opportunities for professional growth. Our core lines of business currently include: (1) KOKO Fuel, an ultra-clean liquid bioethanol cooking fuel solution delivered via a network of smart fuel ATMs and leveraging existing downstream liquid fuels infrastructure; and (2) KOKO Climate, which retails the emissions reductions that occur from switching households from deforestation-based charcoal to KOKO Fuel. In 2021, KOKO was selected as the world’s leading emerging markets climate technology solution by FT/IFC.
As the Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE) Manager with a focus on Employee Safety, your role will involve overseeing and implementing comprehensive safety measures to safeguard the well-being of all employees within the organization. This includes developing and enforcing safety policies, conducting risk assessments, ensuring compliance with safety regulations, and fostering a culture of safety awareness among employees. Your primary objective will be to create and maintain a secure working environment, prevent accidents, and continuously improve safety protocols to align with organizational goals and regulatory requirements.
What You Will Do
- Lead the HSE section through an effective culture change to achieve HSE excellence, build shared vision, motivate, coach, develop staff and achieve results through team members.
- Liaise with other departments through the line manager to ensure coherence with goals and achieve business success.
- Establish and maintain clear organizational responsibilities for risk management. Be focal point for competence assurance for HSE-critical staff/positions in the company.
- Contribute to risk studies and in liaison with HSE Coordinator, allocate responsibilities for maintaining controls to achieve ALARP.
- As custodian of the HSE Incident Management system, be responsible for its quality, implementation, performance monitoring and annual effectiveness reviews.
- In liaison with the legal department and through the line manager, maintain an overview of the HSE legal register for the country, permits and status of regulatory compliance.
- Implement HSE KPIs, establish targets cascaded from Leadership and monitor progress towards agreed targets, identifying improvement areas.
- Contribute to investigation of P1,P2,P3 incidents, analysis of trends, facilitate Incident Reviews by line managers and be responsible for effective cascade of LFIs. Become accredited Tripod Facilitator and be responsible for deployment of tools to analyze incident root causes.
- Lead HSE culture improvement activities with Line leaders, and coach/mentor line managers.
- Review HSE performance on a monthly basis, identify corrective action plans with line managers/HSE coordinators and contribute to achievement of continuous improvement.
- Facilitate annual HSE effectiveness review by Head Of Safety.
- Collate HSE contributions for the annual review process.
- The overall emphasis will be on adding value through passionately driving the HSE culture change process, ultimately resulting in business success through HSE excellence.
What You Will Bring
- A bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as occupational health and safety, Engineering, environmental science, industrial hygiene, or a related discipline.
- Professional certifications or master's degree is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in health, safety, and environmental management, with at least 3 being in a managerial capacity preferably in a Oil & Gas, FMCG or related industry.
- Previous roles in which you have demonstrated leadership and management skills in implementing and overseeing HSE programs.
- Thorough understanding of local, national, and international health, safety, and environmental regulations and standards.
- Ability to stay updated on changes in regulations and ensure compliance.
- Proficiency in conducting risk assessments and developing strategies for risk mitigation.
- Experience in designing and implementing safety programs to reduce workplace incidents and accidents.
- Ability to collaborate with various departments and external stakeholders.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills to convey safety information clearly and engage employees at all levels.
- The ability to conduct training sessions and promote a safety-oriented culture.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities to assess complex HSE issues and develop practical solutions.
- Data-driven decision-making skills to enhance safety performance.
- Experience in developing and delivering HSE training programs for employees to ensure awareness and compliance.
- Familiarity with emergency response planning and the ability to develop and implement effective emergency procedures.
- Proven leadership skills to guide and manage a HSE team effectively.
- The ability to influence and motivate others to prioritize safety in their daily activities.
- Commitment to continuous improvement, staying informed about industry best practices, and implementing advancements in HSE management.
- Ability to collaborate with various departments, including operations, human resources, and legal, to integrate safety into all aspects of the organization.
Knowledge of Regulations:
Risk Assessment and Management:
Training and Education:
Emergency Response Planning:
Leadership and Team Management:
KOKO is committed to gender and racial diversity in the workplace. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply!