Senior GIS Specialist - Renewable Energy (m/f/d)
Senior GIS Specialist - Renewable Energy (m/f/d)
Our business is focused on deploying the highest quality Solar Photovoltaic and Onshore Wind energy projects. We offer Project Development (Wind & Solar), Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC), and Operations and Maintenance (O&M) services for the transition to greater utilisation of sustainable energy globally and are also a recognised leader in off-grid hybrid solar-wind-battery-storage energy solutions.
JUWI has successfully installed over 400 MW in South Africa and over 5,500 MW internationally. As a significant player for renewable energies, we are listed in the top 10 solar EPC contractors globally, employing more than 1,300 people worldwide.
We are looking for you as a
Senior GIS Specialist - Renewable Energy (m/f/d)full time - unlimited
JUWI South Africa primarily develops utility-scale solar, wind and hybrid projects for REIPPPP Bids, private off-take or wheeling projects. As Senior GIS Specialist in the Project Development (PD) Team, you will be reporting to the Head of Project Development and working closely with other members of the Team. Your primary responsibility will be the management of the Team’s GIS Data and spatial analysis tasks, including the identification of new sites and the further refinement of our spatial analysis models. Preferred candidates will also be able to generate preliminary Wind and Solar PV site layouts and conduct the respective energy yield analysis.
GIS Data Management & Spatial Analysis
- Lead the management and curation of the PD Team’s GIS database, ensuring data accuracy and usability.
- Conduct spatial analysis to identify potential sites for utility-scale solar, wind, and hybrid projects.
- Refine and enhance spatial analysis models, contributing to the advancement of site selection and project development processes.
- Produce advanced mapping outputs for all project phases, from preliminary concepts to final designs, ensuring alignment with environmental assessments and permitting requirements.
- Coordinate resource measurement campaigns in collaboration with Project Development Managers, covering site screening, feasibility studies, and support during land acquisition phases.
- Capture and analyze on-site data for the preparation of detailed mapping required for development permit applications, such as those for the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), wayleaves, etc.
- Develop and maintain GIS Dashboards, generate reports for various applications, and provide insights to support project development decisions.
- Oversee quality control, database integrity, and data analytics, identifying trends to inform development strategies.
- Organize the acquisition and integration of data from primary and secondary sources, ensuring continuous data updates and reliability.
- Maintain and update project datasets for online access, offering training to the PD Team to facilitate decision-making through rapid basic data analysis and viewing.
- Stay informed on GIS technological advancements, legislative updates, and industry innovations to steer JUWI’s strategies effectively.
- Manage ETL processes, ensuring efficient data flow and system integration.
- Proactively engage in risk management, reporting, and project reviews to minimize potential project delays or cost overruns.
- Create and manage asset registers for all measurement equipment and software licenses, ensuring compliance with service schedules, calibration, and renewal timelines.
Site Layout & Energy Analysis
- Generate preliminary site layouts for Wind and Solar PV projects, integrating environmental and regulatory constraints into the design.
- Perform energy yield analysis, utilizing software such as WindPro, Wasp, and PVSyst to estimate potential energy generation and contribute to the technical feasibility assessments.
- A Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent) in GIS, Remote Sensing, Geosciences, Geomatics, Geography, Environmental Sciences, or a related field. A Postgraduate qualification or a qualification at NQF level 8 is a distinct advantage, provided it includes a substantial GIS component.
- Demonstrated advanced competency in utilizing a variety of GIS software packages, with a preference for expertise in the ESRI GIS Software Suite (ArcGIS, ArcMap, etc.).
- A strong understanding and practical experience with relational database management systems (RDBMS) and associated web technologies, including but not limited to SQL, SQL Server, JAVA, and XML.
- Proficiency in standard office and project management software (MS Word, MS Project, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook).
- A minimum of 5 to 8 years of professional experience in spatial analysis and infrastructure development, particularly in renewable energy or a closely related field.
- A track record of effective participation in multi-stakeholder projects with responsibilities for budget management, procurement, and project monitoring and evaluation.
- Interpersonal and Analytical Skills:
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, complemented by analytical acumen and the capability to work both independently and collaboratively within diverse teams.
- Excellent command of the English language, both in verbal and written communication.
- Possession of a valid South African Driver's License.
- Experience in Python programming is highly regarded, especially as it pertains to automation within
- GIS or data analysis.
- Experience with specialized Wind and Solar energy generation modeling software such as WindPro,
- Windfarm, Windfarmer, PVSyst, Wasp, or comparable programs would significantly enhance a candidate's profile.
Benefits of working for juwi
Become part of a team that realises leading solar, wind and hybrid projects worldwide. JUWI Global has a high level of commitment and passion for its vision of 100% renewable energy.
Even if your profile does not match the job brief 100%, perhaps you match it 80% of the way, you could possibly be the right candidate for another position within the JUWI Group.
To apply, please submit your application via our recruitment portal and ensure that you submit your application in English.
We look forward to your energy!
JUWI operates in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act 3 of 2013 (“POPI Act”), and by submitting your personal information to JUWI (by way of application and/or providing any other documentation as may be required during the recruitment process), you agree that JUWI may utilise and process your personal information in accordance with the POPI Act.