Civil Design Engineer (m/f/d) - Solar PV and Battery Storage (BESS)
Civil Design Engineer (m/f/d) – Solar PV and Battery Storage (BESS)
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Work experience
- Technical occupations (other)
We offer Project Development (Wind & Solar), Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC), and Operations and Maintenance (O&M) services for the transition to greater utilisation of sustainable energy globally and are also recognised leaders in off-grid hybrid solar-wind-thermal-storage energy solutions.
JUWI has successfully installed over 400MW in South Africa and over 5.5GW internationally. JUWI is listed in the top 10 solar EPC contractors globally.
- Responsible to manage and evaluate site studies in cooperation with 3rd parties such as Geotechnical Study, Hydrological Study, Topographical Study, Site characterisation (assessments), Pull out test.
- Create design drawings and perform calculations for construction roads, trenches, foundations, piling, storm water management, cut and fill and drainage, etc.
- Responsible for the review of tracker system / fixed tilt module mounting structure details and calculations
- Responsible for the design and/ or review of solar plant facility foundations (e.g. inverter foundation, Battery storage container foundation detail, cable tray system, DCIB supporting structure etc.)
- Responsible for reviewing Request for Proposals (RFPs) from Client
- Responsible for the preparation of clarification list and BOM for Tender purposes
- Reviews Vendor related documents and inputs per project requirement translating the contractual obligations into technical requirements and civil designs
- Review of engineering and construction documentation from subcontractors
- Compile specifications, scope of works and evaluate standards for civil works as part subcontracts
- Scoping and analysing survey reports such as geotechnical reports, storm water management reports, topographic maps and other data to support project investigations
- Ensuring contractors use sound construction methods, compliant materials and construct according to contract specifications through ad-hoc site visits
- Provide time and cost estimates for materials, equipment, labour, etc. to support project feasibility evaluations
- Review quotations/ proposals submitted by subcontractors for civil works execution
- Interacting with internal and external stakeholders such as Project Management, Supply Chain, Construction, Consultants, Suppliers and Subcontractors to ensure compliant project execution.
- Ensures that detailed designs are in accordance with project requirements, specifications and Standards in the country of implementation.
- Flexible to cover and represent project engineering on behalf of the Project Lead to liaise with Stakeholders in and out of the Company in some occasions, if needed.
- Accountable for inspection and reporting on construction activities in conformance with project drawings, specifications, schedules, procedures, quality requirements and safety standards in accordance with company procedures & processes, legislation, standards and industry best practise.
- Ensuring contractual schedule and payment milestones are achieved, including preparation/ compilation of design packages.
- Accountable for preparation and review of work procedures and QCP’s.
- Civil Engineering degree
- Minimum of 3 years work experience, in construction, power or electrical infrastructure projects, preferably in the renewable energies sector
- Good communication skills
- The candidate should have demonstrated the ability to work in matrix organizations and to operate and navigate within an international company
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail
- Conversant with software tools as required for the position (e.g., Civil3D, ACAD, STAAD, Microsoft office tools, Inventor)
- Willing to travel as required on occasion
- Experience of working within international teams
- Good communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Understanding of the relationship between technical and commercial project requirements
Benefits of working for juwi
Become part of a team that realises leading solar, wind and hybrid projects worldwide. JUWI Global has a high level of commitment and passion for its vision of 100% renewable energy.
Start Date: April 2023
Even if your profile does not match the job brief 100%, you could possibly be the right candidate for this or another position within the JUWI Group.
To apply, please submit your application via our recruitment portal.
We look forward to your energy!
JUWI operates in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act 3 of 2013 (“POPI Act”), and by submitting your personal information to JUWI (by way of application and/or providing any other documentation as may be required during the recruitment process), you agree that JUWI may utilise and process your personal information in accordance with the POPI Act.
- Monique Cooper
- External Recruiting Consultant EMEA