Pavement Design Specialist
Requisition ID: 90577
Job Category: Infrastructure
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Join a company that is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. With more than 65 years of business and technical expertise in mining, energy, and infrastructure, our 10,000 colleagues in 150 countries tirelessly work toward bettering the industries in which we operate. With practical solutions that are safe, innovative and sustainable, we think globally while acting locally. Are you looking for an opportunity to join a diverse group of professionals who are committed to remaining exceptional? We look forward to hearing from you.
Our expertise in infrastructure includes aviation, highways and bridges, planning and advisory services, ports, rail and transit, tunnels, and water. Want to be part of the creation and construction of our cities? Then the infrastructure team is for you!
Senior Pavement Design Specialist – Highways and Bridges BU, Cape Town
Looking to take the next step in your career? Hatch is currently seeking a highly motivated Senior Pavement Design Specialist to join our Infrastructure group in our team in Cape Town.
New infrastructure and revitalizing assets are a key part of growth for any economy. We work with our clients to imagine and build cities of the future through a constant commitment to innovation and cutting-edge technology.
Our knowledge of infrastructure includes aviation, highways and bridges, planning and advisory services, ports, rail and transit, tunnels, and water. Want to be part of the creation and construction of our cities? Then the infrastructure team is for you!
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Interpretation of Pavement Management System (PMS) data.
- Carry out pavement visual assessment surveys and data collection.
- Setup and run Rubicon models for pavement data analysis and design.
- Coordinate field investigation studies by intrusive methods - centreline materials investigations, borrow pit investigations, analysis of laboratory test results, etc.
- Evaluation of non-intrusive data including FWD analysis, rut measurements and roughness and texture measurements.
- Undertake pavement design and analysis work for National, Provincial and Municipal Roads.
- Provide input for preparation of pavement design CAD drawings & construction details.
- Prepare cost estimates for different pavement design options.
- Setup and run HDM-4 models for economic evaluation of design options.
- Prepare and review pavement design reports in collaboration with other disciplines.
- Prepare and review schedule of quantities using COTO, COLTO, SANS 1200 etc.
- Assist in developing cost estimates and project specifications in line with CIDB.
- Assist with tender documentation, procurement, and adjudication reports.
- Provide technical support during construction supervision and contract administration stages.
- Actively contribute to mentoring and upskilling of junior staff.
- Preparation of bid proposals for new work opportunities.
- Act as a Project Leader or Project Manager for some of the Roads and Highways projects.
- Assist with business development initiatives for the Highways &Bridges Business Unit.
- Network and nurture long-term relationship with team members and clients e.g., Western Cape Department of Infrastructure, SANRAL, City of Cape Town and other client bodies.
You bring to the role:
- BSc or BEng in Civil Engineering with a minimum of 10 - 15 years’ experience in pavement design for Roads and Highways projects
- Candidate must be registered with ECSA as a Professional Engineer (Pr. Eng).
- Masters degree in Pavement Engineering and active participation in relevant industry committees e.g. SAT, SAICE and participation at conferences will be advantageous.
- Highly competent in road pavement analysis and rehabilitation design for National, Provincial, and Municipal Road projects.
- Demonstrate experience in the design of flexible and rigid pavements, unsealed roads, mining heavy haul roads, review and approval of asphalt mix and seal designs including an understanding of road construction materials.
- Good understanding of relevant pavement design methods and applicable industry guidelines is essential (i.e., AASHTO, Pavement Number, Mechanistic Design, COTO, COLTO, SAPEM, TRH, TMH and TG series).
- Experience must include involvement in the design of new pavements, pavement rehabilitation, upgrading and maintenance of road pavement projects including site experience where applicable.
- Must have been involved in all stages of a road project i.e., Basic Planning Studies & Reporting, Conceptual, Preliminary, Detailed Design, Preparation of Design Reports, Tender Documentation and Construction Monitoring.
- Good technical report writing skills are essential including the ability to effectively communicate and liaise with clients and lead design teams.
- Proficiency in Rubicon, cncPave and other pavement design software is essential.
Why join us?
- Work with great people to make a difference
- Collaborate on exciting projects to develop innovative solutions
- Top employer
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
- Think globally, work locally
Don't meet every single requirement? You don't need to. At Hatch, we are building a diverse, inclusive workplace that fosters innovation. If you're interested in this role, we encourage you to apply even if your past experiences don't perfectly align with the skills we've listed.
We're committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate and serve. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran, or any other protected status. If you have any accommodation requirements, please let us know. We'll do our best to meet your needs in accordance with applicable local legislation.
In order to consider any application for employment, we will have to process your personal information.
A law, known as the Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (POPIA) provides that when one processes another's personal information, such collection, retention, dissemination and use of that person's personal information must be done in a lawful and transparent manner.
In order to give effect to this right, we are under a duty to provide you with a number of details pertaining to the processing of your personal information. These details are housed under the Hatch HR Processing Notice which can be accessed and viewed on the Hatch website: https://www.hatch.com/About-Us/Privacy-Statement-South-Africa, which HR Processing Notice we request you kindly download and read.