Intermediate Civil Engineer - Cape Town
Requisition ID: 90623
Job Category: Infrastructure
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Join a company that is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. With more than 65 years of business and technical expertise in mining, energy, and infrastructure, our 10,000 colleagues in 150 countries tirelessly work toward bettering the industries in which we operate. With practical solutions that are safe, innovative and sustainable, we think globally while acting locally. Are you looking for an opportunity to join a diverse group of professionals who are committed to remaining exceptional? We look forward to hearing from you.
Dynamic Earth Solutions (DES) specializes in site planning, spatial information and digital terrain modeling, surface and subsurface investigations, rock mechanics, underground structures, geotechnical laboratory services, flood forecasting and water resource management through our geotechnical, hydrotechnical, and civil site development expertise.
The Civil Engineer will be part of an engineering team providing engineering services to large and small projects. Projects will range from local government developments (e.g. schools, hospitals etc.) to large mining/energy/infrastructure mega-projects. The Civil Engineer will be responsible for delivering quality design work, drawings and documentation to Hatch’s Clients.
The Civil Engineer is responsible for producing engineering calculations, technical specifications, data sheets and reports for both front end planning studies and the detailed engineering phase for multi-disciplinary projects. The Civil Engineer may be responsible for supervising designers, draftspersons and other engineers, depending on the project’s needs. The role will also entail obtaining approvals from local government councils/authorities, engaging with Clients and Contractors, handling site queries and producing tender documentation.
The Civil Engineer participates in a wide range of projects that may cover earthworks, road and rail design and associated bridges, villages, residential and commercial developments, schools, utilities including pump stations, dams, drainage for both front end planning and the detailed engineering phase for multi-discipline projects.
2. Key Responsibilities
• Assist the Lead Civil Engineer or the Engineering Manager with the delivery of project requirements as they relate to scope, quantities, cost and schedule
• Develop and maintain the project scope of work documentation (Facilities Description Report) and revise as required during the design evolution
• Assist in the compilation and delivery of monthly engineering status reports
• Represent the discipline in the project engineering coordination meetings
• Prepare and/or review project procedures and design criteria
• Review and evaluate technical work prepared by junior engineers, intermediate engineers, designers, technicians and technologists
• Perform conceptual and detailed engineering design
• Prepare engineering calculations
• Prepare project and technical specifications
• Prepare and contribute to technical memos and reports, within areas of expertise
• Provide input to engineering, operating and capital cost estimates
• Participate in and contribute to design reviews
• Carry out assigned tasks within budget and schedule
• Ensure co-ordination with designers and engineers within the civil discipline and with other disciplines
• Undertake construction supervision and management dependent upon project demands
• Support of site engineering team to provide technical solutions and timely response to technical queries
• Work to ensure the implementation of safety in design and integrity principles in design documentation
• Provide input to the closeout reports.
3. Qualifications and Experience
• A recognized degree in civil engineering from an accredited university
• Working towards professional registration with the Engineering Council of South Africa
• 3 years’ experience in relevant civil design
• Experienced in the use of Civil3D
• Ability to manage and delegate to individuals to attain quality, cost and schedule objectives
• Experience on residential/commercial/municipal development projects
• Experience with working on projects in a multi-disciplinary environment
• Sound understanding of design engineering codes and technical standards
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Good planning and organizational skills
• Good safety awareness.
• Strong client focus
Why join us?
- Work with great people to make a difference
- Collaborate on exciting projects to develop innovative solutions
- Top employer
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
- Think globally, work locally
Don't meet every single requirement? You don't need to. At Hatch, we are building a diverse, inclusive workplace that fosters innovation. If you're interested in this role, we encourage you to apply even if your past experiences don't perfectly align with the skills we've listed.
We're committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate and serve. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran, or any other protected status. If you have any accommodation requirements, please let us know. We'll do our best to meet your needs in accordance with applicable local legislation.