Business Unit Lead - Oil & Gas (AIM)
Requisition ID: 90681
Job Category: Engineering
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Join a company that is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. With more than 65 years of business and technical expertise in mining, energy, and infrastructure, our 10,000 colleagues in 150 countries tirelessly work toward bettering the industries in which we operate. With practical solutions that are safe, innovative and sustainable, we think globally while acting locally. Are you looking for an opportunity to join a diverse group of professionals who are committed to remaining exceptional? We look forward to hearing from you.
Our energy expertise in the oil and gas sector comprises the entire value chain - upstream, midstream, and downstream; and in the power sector includes thermal, nuclear, waterpower, renewable, hybrid, transmission and distribution, and grid modernization. Join our vision of a low-carbon world and help make positive change!
Hatch is currently seeking a highly skilled, experienced, and motivated professional Engineer to fulfill the role of Oil & Gas Business Unit Lead for Hatch Africa from our Greenstone offices in Johannesburg, South Africa. The successful candidate will have the technical expertise to assure our clients we understand their challenges, the soft skills to build long term relationships for business development and the ability to collaborate with peers and lead a talented young team.
As a high-performing organization, agility and efficiency is key. Our leaders enjoy engaging with clients, attend to their needs in developing new work but also actively participate in and manage such work. Our clients appreciate and welcome participation of our leaders in delivering their projects. This provides an opportunity to engage with global experts and give proper guidance and active mentorship to our young professionals while engaging with our global experts. The key to success will be bringing the best of Hatch to our clients.
The global energy transition is upon us, and Africa has both challenges and opportunities to provide affordable energy locally and use its resources to supply the world with clean energy alternatives. As we shift to a low carbon world, meeting the growing demand for energy will require revolutionary thinking and a variety of resources. At Hatch we are passionately committed to the pursuit of positive change, and we are helping our clients to achieve their decarbonization, emissions reduction, and net-zero goals. Hatch is heavily involved in emerging blue/green/turquoise hydrogen and its associated carriers: ammonia, methanol and sustainable aviation fuels (SAF), in addition to other decarbonizing technologies such as gasification (biomass and waste), carbon capture, EOR, etc.
Hatch’s Oil & Gas group partners with clients to provide engineering and transformation plans that incorporate all aspects of their projects. In addition to the decarbonization expertise, our Oil & Gas capability comprises the entire value chain – upstream, midstream, downstream and LNG. The Oil & Gas group forms part of the Energy Business Unit and works closely with our colleagues in the power sector, which provides thermal, nuclear, waterpower, renewable, hybrid, transmission & distribution, and grid modernization solutions to our Clients.
The BU Lead will be part of an Energy team providing engineering services and/or field support to Clients. The role will require building relationships with existing Clients, and developing new relationships with potential Clients, in order to secure work for Hatch in the region. The Lead will also be responsible for the development of the Process Engineers in the group and take responsibility for projects delivered by Hatch for Oil & Gas Clients in Southern Africa.
As the successful candidate, you will:
Scope of Activities:
The BU Lead will be responsible for the following:
- Based in our Johannesburg office, the successful applicant will be responsible for setting and executing Hatch’s growth plan for Oil & Gas in South and Southern Africa
- Some travel in the region will be required
- Business development and securing contracts with existing and new Oil & Gas Clients in Southern Africa,
- The successful applicant will be expected to be able to ideally spend his/her time on both billable work and BD/proposals
- Able to identify Client needs and develop solutions focused on Client objectives,
- Manage key client accounts
- Develop and nurture long-term client relationships
- Build on the strong relationship that Hatch already has with its existing clients while, at the same time, pursuing opportunities with other existing and potential clients in SA and SADC.
- Collaborate with other groups at Hatch to generate business and help the broader Hatch deliver on its commitments to clients. This would include cross selling the offering of our Business practices such as Advisory, Environmental, Digital and Technologies
- Draw on the company’s connections in the Metals, Infrastructure and Power sectors to position Hatch as the preferred solutions provider to these Clients
- Promote and help in the adoption of innovative solutions and new technologies for our Clients as the energy sector transforms in South Africa
- Practice and promote the seller-doer model to their team
- Commit to hiring and developing a diverse team of young professionals
- Manage business performance in achieving or exceeding set business targets
- Represent and promote Hatch in relevant industry associations and forums
- Evaluate project opportunities together with regional leadership to determine course of action
- Develop proposals in response to Client RFPs or unsolicited proposals to address Client needs
- Participate in internal feedback meetings on BD activities with regional and global leadership
- Active involvement on projects for Oil & Gas Clients as Business or Delivery Sponsor
You bring to the role:
Qualifications and Experience
- Registered professional engineer with a Bachelors and/or post-graduate degree in process or mechanical engineering
- Minimum 15 years' professional engineering experience in the Oil & Gas sector, ideally with well-established connections within Sasol, our key Client in South Africa
- Demonstrated track record in leading and growing teams of engineers in professional services in the Oil & Gas sector
- Have well established connections within the Oil & Gas industry in Southern Africa
- Be recognized as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in at least one aspect of the Oil & Gas sector
- Multi-discipline technical and managerial know-how, allowing for easy interface with technical functions
- Experience in energy transition scopes including hydrogen and decarbonization would be an advantage
- Understand the project lifecycle process and the interdisciplinary dependencies during project execution
Additional Business and Personal Attributes
- Be a driven individual with the self-discipline and desire to achieve team, rather than individual, success
- Must be tenacious and proactive in driving the business forward, within realistic boundaries
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate a team of both sub-ordinates and peers in a collaborative manner in order to achieve business and project goals whilst, at all times, maintaining their respect and support
- Have the agility and flexibility to adapt to changing market and business trends
- Must embrace and see the opportunities in change
- Have a passion for innovation, both technical and business related
- Be well spoken, articulate and have the ability to quickly earn the trust and respect of colleagues and Clients alike
- Understand how to develop, grow and maintain a strong network of contacts
- Have a sense of humor
- Must be commercially astute and know how to structure and close deals in a way that leaves both parties feeling like winners, while at same time protecting Hatch’s interests
- Must be fun to work with and enjoy both internal and client relationships
- Takes personal responsibility and accountability for actions
- Be comfortable working in the complicated flat structure of Hatch and working collaboratively with other highly intelligent and driven individuals
- Be prepared to quickly seek out help and solicit advice from colleagues and peers when required
- Be a Leader rather than just a Manager
Why join us?
- Work with great people to make a difference
- Collaborate on exciting projects to develop innovative solutions
- Top employer
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment
- Long term career development
- Think globally, work locally
Don't meet every single requirement? You don't need to. At Hatch, we are building a diverse, inclusive workplace that fosters innovation. If you're interested in this role, we encourage you to apply even if your past experiences don't perfectly align with the skills we've listed.
We're committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate and serve. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status. If you have any accommodation requirements, please let us know. We'll do our best to meet your needs in accordance with applicable local legislation.
In order to consider any application for employment, we will have to process your personal information.
A law, known as the Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (POPIA) provides that when one processes another's personal information, such collection, retention, dissemination and use of that person's personal information must be done in a lawful and transparent manner.
In order to give effect to this right, we are under a duty to provide you with a number of details pertaining to the processing of your personal information. These details are housed under the Hatch HR Processing Notice which can be accessed and viewed on the Hatch website: https://www.hatch.com/About-Us/Privacy-Statement-South-Africa, which HR Processing Notice we request you kindly download and read.