Business Development Team Lead (South Africa)
Company Profile: candi solar is a dedicated solar company for businesses across Asia and Africa. We bring together international capital, through our Swiss-based platform, and local expertise in order to provide a unique offering to this unserved sector. In doing so, candi aims to have a big social impact, reduce carbon emissions, create jobs, increase energy access, and save money for businesses of all sizes in emerging markets. We partner with businesses to provide solar and battery solutions that are built to last. candi’s shared value model leverages its expertise in customisable finance and performance offerings, quality engineering and data-enabled asset management to help guarantee optimised systems with maximum returns, ensuring zero risk to the customer. www.candi.solar
Job Summary: The company is looking to recruit an ambitious and energetic Business Development Team Lead , who will help candi to lead the solar revolution. Given that candi is taking solar into a new realm with a new set of tools, the role will require creativity, innovation and a new way of thinking.
- Achieving growth and hitting sales targets by successfully leading the sales team to deliver on commercial plans
- Ownership of sales planning, recruiting, objectives setting, coaching, and performance monitoring of the sales representatives
- Driving accountability, effective and data-driven decision-making and empowerment of the sales team
- Enabling smooth collaboration with the engineering team and other related functions
- Innovation and implementing processes, and tools to streamline the team’s activities and shorten the solution delivery timeline
- Championing customer interaction excellence and client satisfaction closely with Asset Management and Marketing teams
- Implementing a strategic business plan that expands the company’s client base and ensures a strong presence in the marketplace
- Defining a set of actions and projects aiming to strengthen candi’s relationship with key industry players such as EPCs, channel partners, industry associations, regulators, etc.
Intelligence and Reporting
- Providing regular reporting to the management, including sales pipeline development, forecasting, market condition updates, sales results and performance
- Staying informed on, and analyse the impact of, energy policy and regulatory changes.
- Analysing sales metrics along with feedback from the market and trends to determine whether current sales strategies are effective and how they may be adapted
- Contributing to generating profit and building a sales pipeline by prospecting key clients in the C&I space in South Africa and Africa
- Representing candi at relevant events, meetings and conferences
Location: Cape Town or Johannesburg (combined with working from home)
Hours: Full time
Desired Qualification and Experience
- Tertiary qualification (preferably Business Administration or an equivalent degree in Engineering coming with experience in sales management)
- Experience in renewable energy is preferred but candi is happy to receive applications from people with experience in other industries (technology & software, finance, insurance, construction, FMCG, etc.) in South Africa
- Minimum 7 years experience in a sales role
- Minimum 3 years experience in a team management role
- Display a track record of driving a sales team in a fast-paced sales environment - able to work towards and hit KPIs while building a positive team spirit
- Demonstrated ability to develop plans to support the strategy and ensure the execution of plans
- Ability to spend 50% of the time leading a team and 50% of the time driving revenue through personal production
- Ability to fully leverage all processes and technology tools to more productively deliver results
- Flexibility to travel as needed
- Excellent mentoring, coaching, and people management skills
- Financial modelling and commercial contract understanding are a plus
- Must be very comfortable working in the digital realm, using tools such as Google Workspace and/or Microsoft Office, CRMs and other tools such as Asana, Slack, etc.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, written and spoken English
- You agree to live out the candi values every day of your employment: this includes to put empathy before ego, being authentic no matter what, that we work as one and follow the candi principle that less is more
- A dynamic, cross-functional team player, willing to take initiative on projects in the context of a multicultural scale-up trying to execute big, bold ideas.
- Having experience working for an international company, or having studied or worked abroad, is considered a plus.
- Remote working is the norm but must be prepared to work in the office as and when required.
- You must be open, honest, trustworthy, a strong communicator, and understand that what we get done as a team surpasses what we get done individually.
- candi is an equal opportunities employer.
candi is unique because...
- We focus on helping businesses of all sizes in emerging markets get access to cheap, clean rooftop solar energy.
- We have a strong emphasis on a client-centric & innovation-driven working culture.
- We are an international team where remote working is commonplace, where we trust our team members to actively carve out a role for themselves according to their skillset.
The application must include a cover letter - included in this letter should be a brief discussion regarding why you believe you would be a fit for this role and for candi solar.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.