Vehicle Systems Engineer
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Contract Type: Full-time
Reports to: Rwanda Country Lead
BasiGo is an early stage E-Mobility start-up working to create the future of clean, electric, and digitally-powered public transport in sub-Saharan Africa. BasiGo provides bus operators with a cost effective electric alternative to existing diesel buses. BasiGo seeks to work with experienced professionals who are excited to help us realize our vision of clean, electric public transit in Africa. BasiGo Rwanda is looking for a dynamic, results driven individual to join our Team as a Vehicle Systems Engineer. The Vehicle Systems Engineer will be responsible for product validation, system validation and continuous technical analysis related to vehicle system performance and reliability. The Vehicle Systems Engineer will be critical in supporting the Team in planning and evaluating programs which ensure and increase vehicle performance and reliability.
You might be interested in this job if:
- You believe electric transportation is the future and want to make it a reality
- You enjoy the challenge of working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- You’re able to take a risk on something new, thrive in ambiguity, and enjoy working in high growth startup environments
- Have a thirst for new information
- You want to create a cleaner, safer, more energy efficient and technologically advanced future for African cities.
Our ideal candidate would have:
Experience & Qualifications
- MS Engineering degree or equivalent expert level in automotive systems or electronics.
- Understanding of vehicle systems integration. Knowledge of electric vehicle systems is desirable.
- Understanding of vehicle electronics design and development
- Ability to analyze system performance data and present concise reports with meaningful conclusion
- Direct experience in automotive system diagnostics
- Ability to perform independent test & measurement activities
- Experience of system data analysis and calibration software used in automotives
- You have demonstrated an ability to learn continuously, work autonomously, and make decisions
Skills & Attitude
- Demonstrated ability to independently define, manage and execute technical projects
- You are comfortable working in a rapidly changing environment with dynamic objectives
- Systems thinker with an intuitive understanding of the capabilities and limitations of electric vehicle systems.
- Strong technical communication skills in order to properly communicate complex insights into frameworks for engineering and management decision-making.
- Roll up your sleeves and get it done
- Detail-oriented across all aspects of engineering design and data analysis
- You are hardworking, highly organized, a great team player, you pay attention to details and are a lot of fun to work with
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently and changing priorities as required to meet requirements and timelines
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop and track key vehicle / system performance benchmarks during pilot and operational phases of the BasiGo fleet
- Analyze, simulate, perform verification testing and documentation of vehicle systems
- Review the vehicle system performance data to ensure compliance with design specifications and highlight any deviation for action
- Identify major impacts of system performance deviation to vehicle reliability, efficiency & operations
- Liaison with internal & external stakeholders to generate vehicle system data repositories of interest
- Support the engineering of vehicle telematics solutions for vehicle monitoring and data collection across operational vehicle fleets
- Design methodologies for data acquisition for vehicle system parameters that may not be readily available via telematics
- Collaborate with the Service Team to track vehicle system failures, evaluation of incidents and development of recommendations and alternatives.
- Support the Service Team in the review of maintenance records and evaluate effectiveness of preventative maintenance programs and cycles and perform trend analysis.
- Apply theoretical and practical knowledge of engineering to verify, validate and improve system/ product designs
- Work with BasiGo suppliers to improve on system designs and deployment of future iterations where updates or changes are required
- Coordinate and participate in the preparation of vehicle reliability performance documents including performance, reports, test results and special reliability studies
- Communicate vehicle system project technical status
- Participate in product design reviews and proactively escalate issues for resolution while understanding the major impacts to technical and business-related areas
BasiGo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic established by law.